Saturday, October 25, 2014

Another sewing post

It's been a long time, about two months, since my last post. I haven't been finding as much free time in the afternoons to post, since my older pair isn't sleeping regularly in the afternoon. However, I had a fun sewing day that I had to talk about, so here goes...

Many months ago, a mom from the library and I started talking about sewing. She mentioned a fabric store that I had never heard about, Marshall's. I was finally able to make a trip there this week, since I didn't have the boys all week.

I was pretty thrilled when I walked into the store, as I think it has the world's largest supply of camo prints. Good old green, white, beige, blue, pink and even purple camo?!? Army camo and tree camo. Flannel, fleece and cotton. I had to take a picture and send it to my camo-wearing family members. Isn't it fabulous?


But the biggest reason I searched for this store is that I am constantly looking for kid-friendly knits. Fabricland has some, but I find that they are generally of poor quality. They are thin, and the print is often off-grain. I loved this print from Marshall's as soon as I saw it. As you can see, it is very busy with two colour blocks per inch. However, I liked the colours and the weight, so I bought a meter at $6.99/m. So what can I do with a meter of 150 cm wide knit fabric?


This is what I can do. One pair of leggings for Emily (left), one pair of leggings for Sophie (right), one pair of shorts for Emily (top) and one pair of shorts for Sophie (bottom). The girls wear the shorts under their dresses and skirts (they are NOT proper little girls yet), but they also love wearing them to gymnastics. The piece of fabric in the centre is all that I have left. Perhaps a future Barbie dress? 


Doing the math, that is four items for less than $7, not including elastic costs (I used my entire stash of 3/4" and 1" to finish these pieces!). And another great part is that it took less than three hours of sewing to complete it all.

Now, if you were my mother, you would be a little concerned about the busy print. However, I have done a little internet search, and have found tunics for each girl from Old Navy.
This is what ON has in Sophie's size.

This is what ON has in Emily's size. 

I can't order the shirts right away, as I have a buy $25, get $10 off coupon that isn't valid until the 28th. I'm crossing my fingers that the tunics stay in stock until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment