Last night we ventured out to the northeast side of Edmonton. We picked up some old 1' x 1' landscaping blocks. You've probably seen these before - people would use these to make fences at their property line.
Well, we bought 100 of them, and plan to use them to eliminate some of the weeds and weed-wacking that is necessary in our yard.
There are lots of narrow spots in our yard where the lawn mower doesn't fit. This 2x4 border created a 1' wide spot between the steps and the house. We removed it yesterday.
I rolled up the sod that was in the narrow space, worked up the soil and moved a fern-leaf peony between the rail and house. The flower blocks will be laid out as a 4' x 10' sidewalk starting at the deck steps. We'll get rid of the blocks that are there, and make the flower patch fill the entire space between the house and the new path.
The path will turn the corner and cover a 4' x 13' space that includes the area below the rain barrel and the fireplace. The bench will sit on top of the of the blocks.
As you can see, the grass is long, unsightly and contains thistle. It needs to be cleaned up. When I am done laying out the blocks, I do have a use for all the gaps. We have a hidden patch of creeping thyme that I am planning to transplant in the open spaces of the blocks. It will be a living pathway. I'm so excited to get started, but I have to first clean off the mortar on the blocks.
Speaking of other projects, Greg and I have removed and relocated many daylilies, lilies and lots of sedum from the corner patch. This is where we will plan our lilies and possibly our coneflowers.







No comments:
Post a Comment