Friday, March 13, 2015

Gardening Addiction

Every spring I have a birthday. And on every birthday, I get to chat with my Godmother, Auntie Betty. As I was growing up, some of those phone conversations seemed pretty superficial: How are you doing? What's new? Anything special planned? However, as I have become an adult, I have grown to love my birthday chats with Auntie Betty. You see, we share a passion for gardening.

Growing up I always knew that Auntie Betty bought some expensive plants. I didn't understand this until I became a home owner. Buying a 4" perennial pot for $3 seemed just fine for me. However, at some point I decided that I liked the unique plants from the garden catalogues that weren't available in local stores, especially the little pop up shops like Wal-Mart and Clements Farms.

And so my gardening addiction began... Vesey's in PEI had a sale that ended yesterday. Buy $200 and get $100 off. It sounds pricey, but I bought 17 plants, and one of those had a price tag of $65. Yuppers, I bought a perennial that was supposed to cost $65? It better be able to mow the lawn, right? Well, it won't mow the lawn, but it might get jaws dropping at the edge of my lawn.

Here are pictures of my new beauties. I realize that some of these are available in local garden shops, but I needed to get up to $200, so they had to be added in.

My challenge to you is to find the perennial that you think would cost $65. :)

Sunburst False Sunflower - same type of plant that attracted so many bees at the farm. I think Harold is always pulling seedlings out of his yard, too.

Border Charm Peony - an Itoh peony which is a cross between a herbaceous peony and a tree peony, so it doesn't require staking.

Creme de la Creme Phlox

Eyecatcher Asiatic Lilies - lollipop, black eye and bumblebee

Gooseneck Loosestrife - can be invasive in ideal conditions (moist, filtered light), but I'm putting it in my toughest (hot/dry) spot

Virginia Blue Bells - shade plant

Purple Beauty Toad Lily - shade plant

Liatris 
Arizona Apricot Blanket Flower

White Feather Hosta - shade plant

Black Barlow Columbine

Mixed Oriental Lilies

Temptation Tradescantia/Spiderwort

Candle Flower - shade plant

Cherry Pops Bee Balm

Ballerina dance Siberian Iris

Firecracker Sedum

No comments:

Post a Comment