Moving from one zone 3 city to another has been quite an eye opener. There are different, and extremely common, perennials here that I never saw in Regina. There are two in particular that I love. According to the map, both Edmonton and Regina are zone 3 cities, so I don't know why I never saw these two plants in Regina:
Hardy Geranium/Cranesbill - To be fair, I did buy a hardy geranium in Regina, but I didn't like the variety I bought. It was leggy. It fell over. There were very few flowers, and when it was done blooming I was left with an ugly plant that looked like a weed. Here in St. Albert I see this variety of cranesbill everywhere. The plant is compact and the flowers sit neatly on top. It likes sun and shade. It is everywhere in our yard and I love it. I think it self seeds with some success, so if you would like to try it, let me know. I transplanted some last fall, and it looks great this spring.

Double Flowering Plum/Flowering Almond - We have this shrub in our back corner and I finally found out its identity this evening. The fragrant flowers look like roses, and appear early in spring before the leaves of the tree are even fully formed. It is tolerant of zone 3 conditions and needs full sun. It looks like a rose bush without the thorns. Who doesn't love that? But I never saw it before this spring. And now I see it everywhere. The neighbour across the back fence has one that is taller than the fence (it can grow up to 12' tall). I had been stalking the house on the corner, hoping that the owner would come home when I'm out with the kids so that I could ask him the name of the shrub. But I finally found it. Thank you google. Who knew the search terms "shrub pink flowers spring" would do the trick?


No comments:
Post a Comment